Obtain Your Hazardous Materials Certificate of Registration

Need Help Enrolling/Questions?

Is HazMat Registration Required for You?

Registration is mandatory if you offer transportation or ship any of the following in commerce:

  1. 49 CFR 173.403 defines a highway route-controlled quantity Class 7 (radioactive) material. This designation allows for the shipment of such materials via highway, rail, air, or water.
  2. Any shipment exceeding 25 kilograms (55 pounds) of Division 1.1, 1.2, or 1.3 (explosive) materials in a motor vehicle, rail car, or freight container, as specified in 49 CFR 173.50.
  3. Transporting more than one liter (1.06 quarts) per package of materials classified as ‘extremely toxic by inhalation’—those meeting the ‘hazard zone A’ criteria under 49 CFR 173.116(a) for gases or 173.133(a) for liquids.
  4. Any hazardous material, including hazardous wastes, transported in bulk packaging that holds at least 13,248 liters (3,500 gallons) for liquids or gases or exceeds 13.24 cubic meters (468 cubic feet) for solids. Additionally, the transportation or offering of Class 9 hazardous materials, which do not require placarding, in bulk packaging larger than 3,500 gallons or 468 cubic feet.
  5. Any shipment, other than in bulk packaging, that weighs 2,268 kilograms (5,000 pounds) or more and consists of a single class of hazardous materials (including hazardous wastes) that necessitates placarding of the vehicle, rail car, or freight container used for transportation.
  6. Any quantity of hazardous material that necessitates placarding. However, farmers offering and transporting hazardous materials directly supporting their agricultural operations are exempt from this registration requirement.

Confused? Call Now

Missed Your HazMat Registration Deadline? Understand the Potential Penalties

Missing your HazMat Registration Deadline can lead to substantial penalties that quickly accumulate, putting your operations at risk.

The civil penalties for certain HazMat violations were adjusted for 2024. Here are a couple of examples.

  • The maximum penalty for HazMat violations is $99,756.
  • The maximum penalty for HazMat violations that result in death, serious illness, or severe injury is $232,762.

DOT Compliance Group specializes in helping carriers like you stay on top of their registration requirements. We provide timely reminders and expert assistance to ensure you meet all deadlines and avoid unnecessary fines.

Register online or call us now to safeguard your operations and keep your business on the road.

The Importance of Registering

DOT Safety and Compliance

Registering for HazMat is essential for securing and safely transporting hazardous materials. This crucial step helps to minimize the risks involved in moving potentially hazardous goods, ensuring a safer transit environment.

Legal Requirement

Failing to register can lead to substantial fines and serious legal consequences. Beyond just evading penalties, proper registration is about lawfully and ethically conducting your operations.

Public Trust and Credibility

Registering signals to your clients and the public your dedication to maintaining high safety standards. This commitment not only builds trust but also boosts your company’s reputation.

Emergency Preparedness

Registration confirms that you possess the essential plans and protocols to manage emergencies efficiently and protect public and environmental safety.

Continuing Education

The following related training, HazMat Transportation and Placard Training are crucial for keeping up with safety standards and ensuring compliant handling of hazardous materials. These programs equip employees with essential skills for safe transport.

How DOT Compliance Group Assists You

The HazMat Registration process can be complex, particularly with frequently changing regulations. This is where our expertise comes into play.


DOT Compliance Guidance

We will guide you through the complexities of DOT compliance, ensuring you understand the specific regulations and requirements relevant to your role and business. We provide tailored support to help you navigate these rules with confidence and precision.

Assistance with Paperwork Filing and Management

We streamline the registration process by assisting with the necessary paperwork and ensuring all information is accurate and complete. Additionally, we maintain all records in a single, easy-to-access customer dashboard.

Education and Resources

We provide comprehensive training and resources to ensure your staff is proficient in safely handling hazardous materials and adhering to regulatory standards. Our programs are designed to enhance safety and compliance across all levels of your organization.

Continual Support

We keep you informed of regulatory changes and offer ongoing support to help maintain compliance with all applicable standards. Whether you need access to a specialist or our advanced AI Chat, we are here to assist you whenever you need guidance.

Are You Ready to File Your HazMat Registration?

Partner with DOT Compliance Group for seamless compliance support. Call us at (972) 707-1282 or enter your DOT number below to quickly obtain your HazMat Certificate of Registration.


I am in the process of beginning a new page in my life with my new business and I could not have done it without Elizabeth and DOT Compliance Group!! This Saint of a woman is by far the most humble, kind, caring, professional, will go out of her way to help anyone in need I would refer this company to anyone trying to open up their own transportation business. You’re amazing!!!
Danny B

Spoke with DOT Compliance and Kimberly today. She is amazing. I struggle with all the forms and regulations and spend many hours trying to be compliant. In just a few short minutes, Kimberly had me up to date and also informed me about the Drug and Alcohol program that I was totally unaware of. DOT Compliance Group has been a Godsend. Look forward to working with them in the future. Excellent customer service. Great attitude and was very helpful in explaining what I needed to do. Thanks so very much!!!!!
Gayle Abrams

My rep is amazing! Any question, hiccup, concern, billing matter, anything she has had our back. She returns phone calls and responds to emails quickly. I know if there is ever any issue I can call and she is ready and able to assist every time.
Gates Transportation

My DOT Compliance Group rep is amazing! Any questions, hiccups, concerns, billing matters, or anything she has had our back. She returns phone calls and responds to emails quickly. I know if there is ever any issue I can call and she is ready and able to assist every time.
Ronald B


Is a HazMat Permit the same as HazMat Registration?
A Hazardous Materials Permit is required every two years rather than annually, as is the case for Hazardous Materials Registration. Anyone needing a HazMat Permit must first secure their HazMat Registration. For more information about obtaining a HazMat Permit, click below.

HazMat Permit

Are there any exceptions for HazMat registration?
The short answer is yes. The PHSMA has exceptions for the following:

  • Agencies of the Federal government
  • Agencies of the state
  • Agencies of political sub-divisions of states
  • Native Americans
  • Employees of those entities listed in [A], [B], [C], or [D] who offer or transport hazardous materials as part of their official duties.
  • HazMat employees, including the owner-operator of a motor vehicle that transports hazardous materials in commerce if that vehicle, at the time of those activities, is leased to a registered motor carrier under a 30-day or longer lease as prescribed in 49 CFR Part 376 or an equivalent contractual relationship.
  • A person who offers hazardous materials for transportation to the United States solely from locations outside of the United States, when that person is domiciled outside the United States, in a country that does not impose registration or a fee on U.S. companies for offering hazardous materials into that country.
  • A farmer who offers or transports only hazardous materials used in direct support of their farming operations and who is not engaged in activities included in Categories A through E
I am a Farmer. Am I required to register for HazMat?
Farmers must register if they offer or transport hazardous materials requiring placarding that are not directly related to their farming operations.

For instance, a farmer transporting commercially sold home heating fuel in placarded quantities must register.

Additionally, farmers must register if they transport any hazardous materials listed in Categories A through E from the FAQ “Who must register for HazMat?” regardless of the purpose.

An example is a farmer who must register when transporting 55 lbs. or more of a division 1.1 explosive, even if it’s used to support farming operations.

Conversely, farmers who only transport hazardous materials directly supporting their farming activities and are not engaged in Categories A through E activities, as outlined in the FAQ “Who must register for HazMat?”, are exempt from registration.

What is HazMat registration?
Certain offerers and transporters of hazardous materials must register with the Department of Transportation and pay a registration fee. These fees fund Hazardous Materials Emergency Preparedness grants (HMEP), which support HazMat training for emergency responders and aid in HazMat planning for States, Local Emergency Planning Committees (LEPCs), and Native American Tribes.

Start Hazmat Registration